Seed companies we like:
- Duende Farm, home of Gusto Garlic Beautiful Maple Ridge farm, selling seed garlic locally and online.
- Salt Spring Seeds Sustainable Canadian seed company selling rare and unusual seeds. Online catalogue includes heirloom tomatoes, quinoa, amaranth, seed garlic and a zero mile diet kit.
- West Coast Seeds Regional family seed company that only sells untreated seeds. Specializing in heirloom, heritage and certified organic seeds, including over 500 varieties of non GMO, open pollinated and hybrid seeds.
- Stellar Seeds High quality, open pollinated, non GMO seeds, including many heirloom varieties.
Books we like:
- The Self-Sufficient Gardener by John Seymour
- The Backyard Homestead, edited by Carleen Madigan
- Micro Eco-Farming by Barbara Nerst Adams
- Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew
- Gaia’s Garden by Toby Hemenway
- The Transition Companion by Rob Hopkins
- Introduction to Permaculture by Bill Mollison
Farming news, politics & education:
- Civil Eats promotes critical thought about sustainable agriculture and food systems as part of building economically and socially just communities;
- The Ethicurian is a site that focuses on sustainable, organic and local food;
- City Farmer News is a Vancouver-based smorgasboard of everything urban farming related;
- SOUL (Society for Organic Urban Land Care) promotes and supports organic practices in ourcommunities through education, certification and standardization;
Local friends & resources:
- CEED Centre Society is dedicated to community education on environment and development in Maple Ridge, BC;
- Golden Ears Community Co-op connects community members and farmers in Maple Ridge, BC;
- Golden Ears Transition Initiative is part of a global grassroots movement supporting citizen action toward reducing oil dependence and building local community resilience and ecological sustainability;